A few months ago, when we were vacationing in the Smoky Mountains, we took a nice leisurely hike to visit three waterfalls and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
What started out as a level hike turned into an uphill hike. Up and up we went, and with each step, my mind was telling me that I could not physically do it. The thoughts of self-doubt overshadowed the Bible verse from Philippians 4:13 that I tried to remember, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
An epic battle of will took place in my mind:
“You cannot do this!”
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!”
“You cannot do this!”
“I can do all things…”
Stopping in mid-sentence, my mind shifted from a “can-do” attitude to one of self-doubt and failure.
“Your right; I cannot do this!”
The instant that I gave into my fear, anxiety took over. The shortness of breath, tears, trembling, and heart palpitations began. And it was happening right in front of my family.
Fix Your Eyes on Jesus
Anxiety or panic attacks have a way of sneaking up on me. The overburden of life or circumstances that are out of my control tends to trigger these anxious thoughts.
Perhaps you can relate?
I think that we can all agree that 2020 has been a year of high anxiety and stress. My mental health has definitely taken a hit this year, beginning with grief and going straight into quarantine. At times, it’s been a daily battle to fix my eyes on Jesus and not on the events surrounding me.
The Smoky Mountains’ uphill climb reminded me of what happens when my eyes turn away from Jesus, and I focus on myself. My heart tells me that had I stayed focused on Jesus, the fear of not completing the uphill climb would have never entered my mind.
Start Memorizing Bible Verses
For me, now is the time to seek and retain the Word. It’s no secret that America needs the Word of God more than anything now. We are one week away from a presidential election and you can feel the anxiety in the air. One thing that will never change is this; it doesn’t matter who is elected, Jesus still remains on the throne. He is still in control and one day, (I pray soon!) with a thunderous entry, He will return to this fallen and dark world. My strength and hope to get through these upcoming days lie in my faith in Christ.
If your anxiety is through the roof in regards to the upcoming election, in all things related to the pandemic or the upcoming holiday, here are eight verses to pray through.
8 Verses to Pray to Calm Your Anxiety
1. “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” 2 Timothy 1:7
2. “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
3. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
4. “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.” Psalm 94:19
5. “For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38-39
6. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
7. “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
8. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” John 14:27
Friends, as we enter the winter and holiday seasons, let’s go into it by focusing our eyes on Jesus. We can and we will get through these trying times in our lives.
30 Days of Thanksgiving Blessings
To say that 2020 has been a challenging year is an understatement! Despite the difficulties, heartbreak, and challenges, we can still find the blessings the Lord bestowed upon us in 2020.
Join me beginning on November 1-30 on my social media accounts as we celebrate a month of thanks and praise. Click here to join me on Facebook or here to join me on Instagram. I hope to see you there!
In addition, I’ve created a special downloadable resource for you of the 30 Bible verses we will be praying over. Be sure and check back here on November 1st to download this resource.
Resources to Download
Verses to Pray: 31 Days of Prayer for Students, Parents, Teachers, and Staff at Our Schools
Now more than ever, our schools need our prayers! I’ve created this guide for you to pray daily for our students, parent, teachers, and staff. Please click here to download this free resource.
My Identity: A Five-Day Devotional to Remind You of Who You Are in Christ.
In the rush of life, we often forget our true identities, our identity in Christ. In this devotional, you will be reminded that you are forgiven, free, loved, redeemed, and seated. Click here to download.
My name is Missy, and I am a Child of the King, wife to Craig, mom to Grant and Connor. I enjoy family time and the laughter that comes with it!